Friday, January 3, 2014

Breastfeeding…Such a Hot Topic

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is valid as long as it coincides with mine, smile, I'm only kidding. Breastfeeding is such a hot topic and also a hot button issue - first should a mom nurse or formula feed or maybe a combination of the two and secondly is it okay for a mom to nurse in public with or without a cover up. I just finished reading the USA Today article - Breast-feeding is on the rise, but in church it's still an issue and thought I'd share a little of what I think.

First, not everyone wants or can nurse their child so breastfeeding shouldn't be forced on anyone, and no one should feel bad about the choice they make for their child. Personally, I have nursed both of my children, my son until about 8 months old and because I had pumped on the side he was able to have breast milk from 8 months to 12 months based on what I had in the freezer. My daughter is 7 months old and I'm still exclusively nursing, neither child has needed formula as a supplement.

Am I a pro? Absolutely, positively NO! I can't nurse in public unless I have a separate space altogether. If I'm at an extended family function, like Christmas, I still want to be in a separate room. Sometimes if I think someone could walk in, that's not my husband or son, I still cover up. Keep in mind because I generally nurse at home, I don't wear a cover, so then when I try to, my daughter is more worried about the cover than eating. Overall it's my own personal uncomfortableness. If I have anxiety about the public feeding, then my let down doesn't come easy for my daughter and nursing becomes very difficult.

I don't think most people are quite on my level of being uncomfortable but I know several moms who prefer seclusion while nursing. I also know several moms that are completely comfortable to nurse in public but are very discreet. When I read opinions of people that think nursing in public, like a church, is wrong and moms should be covered, I'm not sure why people are so up in arms over this. I guess maybe I've never seen a non-discreet nursing session. With that said, if moms are nursing their children, I really doubt that they are trying to show off, it's a natural thing. I don't care to see another woman nursing their child, so I keep my eyes up or away. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, maybe that's because I'm a nursing mom or again haven't seen a non-discreet session. Sometimes my husband teases me because I can be oblivious to things and maybe that's my reason.

Everyone is different.

If nursing in public does upset you…what is your reason? I'm interested to know why it upsets you and have you explain.

One thing I didn't address earlier was the age of the baby. If you are against nursing in public, does the age of the baby make your opinion stronger?

(The reason I ask this, I realized that in writing this post, I had automatically referred to a newborn through one year of age, because that's my plan to nurse my daughter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment