Monday, January 13, 2014

Seafood Paella for Dinner

When I tell everyone in my family that we are going to try a new recipe for dinner all I see are cringes and I hear sighs. Now and then I get a suggestion of having something else entirely but yesterday I wasn't budging. I wanted to try seafood paella my own way with some leftover ingredients I needed to use. I also tried to feed them heavily at lunch in case dinner wasn't a hit, because let's face it, not every new recipe that I've tried is one we want to keep. I also found a recipe from Parents.com that used a slow cooker and thought okay let's try it. If you know me, you know I dread a slow cooker, while it may be convenient, I usually despise mine. I think most things made in it are mediocre at best, but I knew I would want to cook the paella a long time to get the flavors to mix. 

Surprisingly this was a complete hit with my family and will be put on our list of dinners we really like. 

Seafood Paella

Ingredients

3/4 c. chopped assorted colored peppers (red, orange, yellow)
1/2 c. chopped red onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. seafood or chicken stock
1/2 c. uncooked brown rice
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (more for my family)
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4. tsp. ground turmeric
12 oz. fresh or frozen shrimp 
12 oz. tilapia, cut into large bite size pieces
1/2 c. frozen peas

Make It

1. Coat slow cooker with cooking spray; add peppers, onion, and garlic. Combine the broth, rice, cayenne, crushed red pepper, and turmeric. Pour over vegetables in cooker. 

2. Cover, cook on low-heat for 4 hours. Stir in shrimp, tilapia, and peas. Cover, cook an additional 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cooker from liner, let stand for 5 minutes. 

Try it and let me know what you think!

1 comment: