Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Big Saturday

And the best part, her mouth is closed and his is open!

I was invited to do a girl's day on Saturday with my mother-in-law (her birthday weekend) and sister-in-law and as excited as I was about it, I also was a little apprehensive because it meant dad would have both kids for the majority of the day and this would be the first time that we had a babysitter watch the baby girl for a little while while my husband took our son to baseball. I know this may not sound like a lot but it would be my first time away for the majority of the day and the very first time with a babysitter that wasn't a grandparent.

I knew the kids would be fine, I knew the babysitter would be fine, I worried about my husband's stress level but knew he'd be fine, and as for me, well that was up in the air for the week leading up to my time away. As much as I was looking forward to the girl's day, I had some anxiety about leaving. Okay, a lot of anxiety about leaving but when I was invited to join them for a spa day, I was thrilled to even be asked.

Before you read the next paragraph let me first tell you, that I've been having cell phone problems - who doesn't, right - but even though it had been shutting off and refusing to power itself back up, in the last week, it was working better than the recent 'normal.' I made sure it was working before I left the house in case my husband needed something or I needed to check in and see how everyone was doing. Okay maybe needed isn't the correct word and I should replace with wanted.

Well…murphy's law with the phone. Um, not exactly the ideal time to have the phone power down. I did use my sister-in-law's phone to call home before I left but I didn't want to be the crazy mom that is constantly texting, "are you okay, how are the kid's, what is everyone eating, did the baby drink the milk from the cup, don't forget to check her diaper, etc" with someone else's phone. Maybe the phone shutting off was a blessing in disguise for everyone.

I was able to spend an absolutely wonderful day with the girls, and felt very much like a princess.

When I left the resort, which was the same time my husband and son left for baseball, I did drive faster than normal to get home because I was worried that the little baby girl might have had a harder day than normal and then she was having a babysitter for the first time. I also didn't want the sitter to have a bad experience; I want her to come back. I couldn't have been more wrong, when I walked into the house and up the steps, the sitter and baby were playing - no cries, no whines, playing. AND right before the babysitter was getting ready to leave, my baby girl reached for her! She doesn't reach for anyone! I mean obviously she reaches for me and my husband but it's rare that she'll reach for anyone else. I was absolutely overjoyed, she reached for her! Now, the sitter is such a sweet and great girl and that's a huge part of it, but my daughter is a tough critic right now.

Soon after I arrived home, my husband and son arrived and we all were able to hang out before bedtime with my son casually telling me, "I know you got to do something fun, and dad said sometimes you need to do fun stuff too, but next time I think I'll go too."

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for u that the babysitter worked out! She is truly a wonderful person!