Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Couple of Lessons Learned

As parents, we spend a lot of time teaching our kids. Whether it’s to say “ma-ma" or "da-da” or trying to teach them how to read and how ‘no’ and ‘know’ sound the same but mean something entirely different. Each day they are learning and it’s our job to help them to the best of our ability. But they teach us too!

The top three that I learned the hard way a couple weeks ago were:


1. Mom is completely uncool.
She might show a glimmer of hope to be cool, when we are cruising in the car, with the windows down, sunglasses on, radio turned way up, and listening to Alabama’s Reckless song...
“Let’s roll the windows down turn the radio up
Let the wind blow through our hair
Love is reckless, lets get reckless tonight.”
Well it’s like Fight Club, and everyone knows that the first rule of Fight Club is you do NOT talk about Fight Club. So even though mom may show a smidgen of coolness it all goes out the window when she tells someone else about this car ride. Oh and did I mention my son is only 5 years old?!


2. Anything off of mom’s plate or bowl tastes much better than theirs.
In the morning, I like to get up just a little before the kiddos and watch a little bit of the morning news while I eat a bowl of my favorite cereal. However, my baby girl loves to be up during this time because my breakfast tastes so much better than anything else. Normally she eats in a high chair so I initially I thought she was only interested because I was eating on the floor. Nope! I tried to give her a small bowl of her own to eat beside me so I could keep her from climbing all over me while I finished breakfast. It has to be out of mom’s bowl and off of mom’s spoon.

3. I am unfit to go anywhere.
I need one or both of my kids to follow me wherever I go. I’m actually not sure how I have survived the majority of my life without them accompanying me. Outside, inside, upstairs, downstairs, to the bathroom, really... I need one of them to be right by my side at all times.

The funniest part about these three things, if they didn’t do this and act the way they do, I would miss it terribly! One day, they’ll be old enough and not want to follow me and eat off my plate. However, I do think I will always be uncool, and that’s okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment