Thursday, June 13, 2013

Itty Bitty

Most pregnant women don't expect they'll sleep soundly through the night but when you wake up with contractions you really know sleep isn't much of an option.

(Don't worry, I won't go into all the details of labor or my c-sections.)

I woke up at 3am with the start of contractions, but I didn't think that much of them - six or seven minutes apart and only lasting about 10 seconds. This same thing happened with my son and that doctor at that hospital sent me home. I returned three days later to have my first c-section. So I wasn't calling the hospital and I was not going to call the coal mine to track down my husband, have hime come home, wake up our four-year-old  to go to the hospital only to be sent back home. Nope, not wasting all that time, I'll wait until 8am when the doctor's office answers phones to see what they recommend I do. I did think, I'll try to just rest as much as I can and at 5:30am I gave up. I got up, showered, washed and dried laundry, did a few remaining dishes, and packed my hospital bag. I of course had to stop whenever a contraction came which now started to last longer and get stronger. My son woke up and was very helpful - he counted how long the contractions my 20 seconds was his 40 seconds . He really enjoyed counting. 

At 8am I called the office, yes instructions were to go to the hospital, they'd be expecting me and if I could find anyone to bring me sooner than my husband could I was to do that and have him meet me. We live about an hour from the hospital with the expected Pittsburgh traffic and almost two hours from other family so unless I drove myself (which probably wasn't the best option) I was waiting for my husband.

Alright - time to call the coal mine:
Coal Miner: Hello
Me: Hi, my name is ~so and so~ and my husband is ~so and so~. I'm not sure which section he's in tonight but would you be able to track him down and ask him to come home. I'm kinda in labor and they want me to go to the hospital.
Coal Miner: Absolutely, we'll track him down and get him out.
Me: Ok, thank you very much.

In about five minutes my phone rang - husband calling from underground - he didn't sound calm at all! He told me the guy that answered my call said I sounded calm but he was excited which in turn created some excitement (don't want to use the word panic) with my husband. He said he'd be home as soon as he could, like 45 minutes. Okay, now we wait, get the house in order, pack fun things for our little boy, let the dog out, call my mom to see if she can meet us at the hospital to watch the little guy.

And 45 minutes later my husband almost took out the bushes at the end of our driveway. I later found out most of the neighborhood figured I was in labor based solely on his driving. No he wasn't panicked

Once we arrived at the hospital it was only about 40 minutes from walking in the door until I was prepped and everyone was ready to bring out our wonderful baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment