Monday, January 21, 2013

Gender Cupcake

When we found out we'd be having another child, everyone in our immediate family was absolutely ecstatic, yes my husband, our son and myself. My husband and I had tried for a really long time, maybe more on that at another time, but we were just thrilled. We had kept the announcement quiet for quite a while and that included an extremely talkative four-year-old little boy keeping a secret. To make our pregnancy announcement we waited until Thanksgiving and had our son wear a 'Only Child Expiring June 2013' shirt.

Now because it's been over four years of our son being an only child we decided early that we would try to focus on including him in every announcement and trying to make him a central point in everything, which I'm sure a ton of parents do.

One of those big moments for us is finding out the gender of the baby - I think that the people who keep it a surprise are amazing but I could never go that long without knowing. I just don't want to. Anyway, I do love Pinterest so I had looked at a ton of gender reveal party ideas and different ways to announce the gender but instead of inviting everyone and having a party I thought it would be great for our little guy to tell us if he's getting a little brother or a little sister. Plus my husband didn't know if people would travel all the way to our place just to know if it's a boy or girl. Okay, so let's get one cupcake filled with pink or blue icing for the soon-to-be big brother.

Just a little side note - I stopped at the bakery at Giant Eagle, explained what I was hoping to order and after they looked at me like I had completely lost my mind, I was told they don't fill cupcakes, and they don't fill with different colored icing. Okay so on to bakery #2, oh forget that because they had closed for an extended period of time. Now my son is getting a little disappointed because he was hoping to get a cookie or donut or at least something. Instead of driving all over I thought maybe it would be best to call bakeries; the third bakery, Bartram House Bakery, were so pleasant and nice and more than willing to create a special cupcake. They also have a great assortment of other pastries and cookies. :)

After the ultrasound appointment, getting the gender written on a paper that was sealed in an envelope and delivered to the bakery, we waited. Almost 24 hours. Actually we were supposed to wait until daddy got home from work but he had called at lunchtime so with a crazy loving chocolate kid that desperately wanted to eat his cupcake and a mommy and daddy that weren't exactly patient we stayed on the phone while the little guy took a bite out of his cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment