Friday, January 25, 2013

Go Fish

Some days I need to remember what games I played as a kid because I seem to forget the classic, simple games that were fun. With the Wii gaming systems, the iPhones or computers, and even LeapPads my mind doesn't always jump to something like Go Fish.

It has been bitter cold here the last few days so going outside to burn energy hasn't really been an option and I really didn't want the television on or anything electronic so up to the toy box to choose something other than Legos. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Lego building but I'd had enough and wanted something else. I pulled out the unopened Go Fish card game and asked my little guy to play, he wasn't exactly thrilled - how could he be when he's never played - that's okay I knew his perception would change.

Our family is fairly competitive - someone wins, someone loses and as long as you don't get too carried away you can make a fuss over winning. We don't tie and my kid hates to lose but he has to learn that he can't always win. However, you need to want to win and do the best job you can. I'm not trying to sound like I'm on my soapbox but I don't like when everybody wins, that's not life.

After going over how to play and the concept we started asking each other for the angel fish, sharks, and whales. The hardest part for a little four year old...holding all the cards without showing me, so I'd recommend a high table and several chairs so he can lay his cards out beneath the table. Needless to say he did win, fair and square, and loved playing. He actually wanted to play again and told me that he definitely could win.

No comments:

Post a Comment